onsdag, december 21, 2005

"JCB Song" with Nizlopi

In Great Britain the most important single of the year is the one on the top of the charts at Christmas.
This year the chart-fanatics where afraid the top spot would go to Crazy frog or the Pop Idol winner – but it turned out to be a low key folksong called "JCB Song" by a group called Nizlopi.
Of course that’s the last flip/flop of the year (or forever? Stockholm is getting close).


D-man: Flip
I like it. Have never heard it before. It sounds just like my old favourite Tikka-Tikka-Bam-Bam-Raaas, bet ya know her too? The lyrics were diluted. Something about driving around in a kung-fu man and then sitting in a toolbox. Or perhaps I'm just wicked?


E-man: Flip
Ahh, nice! Starts slow. Smooth guitar, slow but distinct drums. Nostalgic text sung with a rough but competent singer-songwriter voice. Even allows himself a touch of an accent, which is rare (or at least difficult to get away with). The last third picks up the pace and goes all confused, love it! Is that a banjo?
Even gets a touch of Christmas somehow. Well, that could be me longing for Christmas vacation, of course. Me like. With the risk of sounding a thousand years old, it was way too long since anyone made a song like this. Did I mention I like Tracy Chapman?
Flippety-doo-yah!


K-man: Flip
I get a huge Tanita Tikaram-vibe of this song (and in the opposite of the D-man I actually know the works of Tanita and is a huge fan) and that’s a good thing for sure. Still, I think it is a bit boring… Not much happens and even if the lyrics are cute there not much of originality here is it? Normally I’d flop this, but what the heck. It’s Christmas…and it might be the last Flip/Flop ever. Who am I to grudge?


A Christmas flip it is!

Keep readin’
Tomorrow’s a new day and a new song.

Song of Today: "JCB Song" with Nizlopi

Inga kommentarer: