torsdag, juni 09, 2005

"Lay All Your Love On Me"/"I Tryggt Förvar Hos Mig" by ABBA

Yesterday I actually won a contest.
That never happens.
Usually.

But yesterday I actually won.
I won a CD with the Swedish version of the Musical ”Mamma Mia!”.
Don't laugh.
It's a very good prize for someone who like ABBA, like musicals, and who actually bought tickets to this musical in August 2004 and saw it in Stockholm last week…

The musical is great by the way.
No doubt about that.
Go see it!
I actually seen it twice in London before this one in Stockholm, and the ensemble is almost better here in Sweden…
…but it is a very different experience to hear the songs with (new) Swedish lyrics instead of its original English ones. Not that the lyrics are bad in Swedish – in contrary; they are unexpectedly good – but it is not the same thing to have the dialogue turn into a classic lyric if the lyric is not classic…if you understand what I mean.

But back to the CD.
The CD with the original London cast is a bit daft. It is like listening to a CD with stupidly orchestrated ABBA-classics sung by musical actors. The Swedish version is of course a bit the same, but in opposite to the stage the lyrics saves the day here.I can’t get rid of a feeling that it is nice that the ABBA-songs have been “coming home” and got some Swedish words…
…even if not everyone of them have been treated well...like (ironically) “Mamma Mia” or “Money, Money, Money”…
…some of them are very cleaver (like “Dancin' Queen”…turned into a song about a girl dancing’ to the ABBA-song “Dancing Queen” or “Super Trouper”) and some are almost better (like “Lay All Your Love On Me” called “I Tryggt Förvar Hos Mig” if you know some Swedish language).

So it was a nice little win.
I hope it is the start of some kind of a trend for me.

Keep readin’
Tomorrow’s a new day and a new song.

Song of today: "Lay All Your Love On Me"/"I Tryggt Förvar Hos Mig" by ABBA

Inga kommentarer: