torsdag, juni 23, 2005

"Used to Be the One" with David Guetta

When I was a kid, today was one of the best days of the year.
This one, my birthday and Christmas.

Why?
Because this was the day before Midsummer’s Eve – a day that for the people living in my hometown Karlskrona were (and still are) the day of “Lövmarknaden” ("The Leaf Market" in a direct translation).

When I think about it, I really don’t know what the proper English word for a thing like this is called…
A market? A fair?
"When a lot of salesmen come to town and put up their booths and sell a lot of stuff nobody needs"?

Well, it doesn’t matter.

The point is that as a kid this was a very big thing for me (and my friends) every year. It wasn’t just that I planned what I should buy for weeks ahead (mainly old comics, cheap music cassettes, candy, and crackers) – it was also the emotional start of the long holidays, the start of the summer!

As a teenager this converted into a day with the market at daytime and a night of party and clubbing afterwards. Quit a unique thing I Sweden where the whole country usually party like there is no tomorrow the following day at Midsummer’s eve….

Then I moved to Gothenburg, got friends here who didn’t have a clue about Lövmarknaden, and gradually lost the tradition completely.
I guess it is about 10 years since I was at the Lövmarknad today.

In a strange way it feels a bit sad…
It would’ve been nice to be there again, see if it’s still looks the same (but probably with completely different objects in the booths…CDs, used computer games, and bad quality Eminem t-shirts) and if I would get the same feeling of a beginning summer.

But then…
Nowadays my summer doesn’t start until my vacation starts (week 29 this year), so I guess I better stay behind my computer today and wait for Midsummer as everybody else do.

Keep readin’
Tomorrow’s a new day and a new song.

Song of Today: "Used to Be the One" with David Guetta feat. Chris Willis

Inga kommentarer: