onsdag, juni 08, 2005

"Revolution" with The Thompson Twins

I didn't have that much records when I was younger...mostly due to that my parents didn’t have a record player. But when I was about 12-13 I got my first Walkman and started to buy music.

Well, yesterday I found the 80’s album ”Here’s the Future Days” with The Thompson Twins on the net and it was like time travelling. This was one of my favourite albums back then and I listened to it repeatedly for months….

So yesterday, even if some part of me knows that this isn’t the best record (actually it was a cassette tape) I've owned in my life or excellent in any way, I went nostalgic instantly, stupidly happy, and remembered all lyrics as they appeared in my iPod.
"King for a Day”, "Doctor Dream", "Tokyo" & (…and this one is still good…really…) "Lay Your Hands On Me"…
…and then there was "Revolution".
Yes.
It is the Beatles song.
In some horrible 80’s synth costume…
And I suddenly realized that this was the first version of this song that I heard…
It was from this version I learned the lyrics (so I later in life could fake that I was a bigger Beatles-fan than I actually were – I just got some collections and Sgt Pepper), and I guess this version to some extension made me start listening to Beatles.
Same thing with U2. I started to listen to them when I heard PetShopBoys version of "Where the Streets have No Name"...

...and then we have the Steps version of "Tragedy" vs Bee Gees.

So I guess I shouldn’t complain next time some young girl with big plastic tits makes a cover of any of my favourite songs. Maybe some teenager will learn the lyrics from that and start listing to whatever the original is.

Still, this doesn’t forgive covers like "Tarzan Boy" with Denise Lopez.
Just so you know.

Keep readin’
Tomorrow’s a new day and a new song.

Song of today: "Revolution" with The Thompson Twins

Inga kommentarer: