onsdag, augusti 24, 2005

"The Importance of Being Idle" with Oasis


The previous weekend I happened to catch the latest Oasis video on the Swedish music channel ZTV - and it was quite a chock!

I was in the military service in 1995, and my fellow soldier Magnusson told me he should play some of the best pop-songs ever written….and then he played "Champagne Supernova", "Live Forever", and (the yet unreleased) "Wonderwall"…and I was totally stunned. For the following years Oasis was the biggest thing (but I was also quite a Blur-fan those days too, in spite of the rivalry) and the brit-pop era were at its peak.

But the big chock wasn’t that I realized that it has been ten (amazing, but even so) years since I started to listen to Oasis….and it wasn’t that the video for "The Importance of Being Idle" was superb either. It was really great to see a good video for a change… Something that’s neither stuffed with half-naked chicks in bikinis shaking their asses, nor jammed with CGI-effects - or just simply boring, strange and pretentious.
This one (directed by Dawn Shadforth, the man behind Kylie’s "In Your Eyes" & "Can't Get You Out of My Head" videos, I found out later) shot in black&white and starring the Welsh comic-genius, Rhys Ifans (from "Notting Hill"-fame) as a singing and dancing funeral director…and the Gallagher-brothers simply figuring as extras in the background… is just beautiful and perfect for the song.

No, the mot chocking part has to be that Oasis still can make a single for me to fall in love with…

"The Importance of Being Idle" is simply the best they have recorded since anything on "(What’s the Story) Morning Glory", and their best single for ages. The spirit of Beatles is (as always) floating over Noel and Liam…but now the also sounds like "Soundtrack of Our Lives"…and I love it.

I don’t know if it is a hit. The Oasis-backlash is bigger than their egos, and I guess they would have to release something completely different to be taken to grace by the critics and lost fans again…

But for me this is enough.
A good song, reminding me of times past, and a beautiful video.
That’s all I ask of a pop-song.

Keep readin’.
Tomorrow’s a new day and a new song.

Song of Today: "The Importance of Being Idle" with Oasis

Inga kommentarer: